The present County Blazer Badge replaced the previous small Badge in 1919 and was made to a design prepared by the late John Carter, the first Official Chairman of the Association. He was also a Founder of the Association which was formed at his original suggestion in 1909.
The Badge is derived from the Coats of Arms of the principal East and West Sussex Towns and Areas, namely, Brighton, Eastbourne, Hastings & St. Leonards, Lewes, Horsham and Worthing and also the County of Sussex and can briefly be described as follows:
It has been said that “no Arms exist for the County of Sussex for any other County” because a County is not a “corporate body”, but rather “a geographical expression”. No doubt the present Coats of Arms originated from the banners or personal ensigns of the Saxon Kings.
The centre of the Badge denotes Sussex, East & West, and is taken from the East Sussex Arms which is six Martlets and a Chief, all gold.
The upper left corner consists of the Arms of Worthing, shown with the three silver fishes on a wavy azure field and on a gold chief a cornucopia proper. The Arms of Horsham, a silver lion rampant on a red field, resting its right foot on a gold letter “H”. Below these are the Martlets of the West Sussex County Council, gold on azure.
The upper right corner represents the Eastern Towns of Sussex and comprises the Arms of Eastbourne, consisting of silver on a fess or centre band and double red cotises or lines and a golden rose between two silver stags’ faces and antlers. The Arms of Hastings which is gules or red and azure parted palewise or vertically, a gold lion passant guardant between two similar lions, halved and joined with stern ends of two silver ships. Below is the checky gold and azure of the Warrenes, who held the Manor of Lewes and the red anchor on an azure field, which is the Arms of St. Leonards.
At the lower left corner of the Badge is the Coat of Arms for Brighton, the two sable dolphins swimming one above the other on a silver field, and when Brighton attained the status of a County Borough, the golden Martlets appeared on an azure perimeter of the new Arms.
The lower right corner of the Badge is the Coat of Arms of Hastings, in which the middle ship’s hull is eliminated from the Arms of the Cinque Ports and the lion is completed.
The colours may not, of course, be exactly the same as the Arms from which the Badge is designed for embroidery.
In 1909 the Kemp Town Bowling Club [Brighton] invited clubs from around the County to take part in a one day tournament. The draw for the event took place in the Imperial Hotel, Queens Road, Brighton on 26 August at which one of the club’s members, John Carter [later Alderman] explained the main reason for the tournament was to gather Sussex clubs together with the aim of forming a Sussex County Association affiliated to the English Bowling Association. Three months later the Sussex County Association was formed and in 1917 John Carter became the first Chairman of the County and then Hon. Treasurer from 1918 until 1940
The County’s first President, in 1910 was the Rt. Hon. The late Marquess of Abergavenny KG. who continued in office until 1915 He was followed in 1916 by his Grace the late Duke of Norfolk. The late Sir C Thomas-Stanford, Bart. JP was President from 1917 until 1932 and the Rt. Hon. The late Lord Leconfield from 1933 until 1944. A new Chairman was elected each year. Since 1945 the Association has elected a President from members of the Association and he combines the office of Chairman